Wow, long time no post.  Things have been quite busy since my last post, and are finally settling down a bit and these updates will be a bit more frequent. In the mean time, here is a tip about ganache.

Heat:
When heating chocolate it must be done on the lowest temperature possible.  I recommend NEVER melting chocolate in the microwave, it is too hard to control the heat.  The 2 best ways to melt chocolate is either in a double boiler or by pouring hot milk/cream over the chocolate.  Chocolate too hot will burn and /or separate.   Dark chocolate burns at 120, milk and white at 110.  Remember your body temperature is 98…. Chocolate is burning at the temperature of an average shower(American’s average shower temp is 107-126).  Burned chocolate smells burnt, loses it’s shine and becomes muddy.  If it has just barely burned, take it off the heat and stir in more chocolate chunks which may rescue it, but if it is smelling the taste will be off and there is nothing you can do to save it.

Advertisements